Professional appraisals protect the value of your jewelry investment. In selecting an appraiser, it’s important that the appraisal be performed by a certified appraisal professional — not just a gemologist. David Craig is not only a certified gemologist, but also a certified gemologist appraiser. With an AGS-certified Gemology Laboratory on site at his retail location, you can rest assured that the appraisal you receive from David Craig Jewelers will be accurate. Below are a number of reasons for having your fine jewelry and diamonds appraised.
WHY DO I NEED AN APPRAISAL?
- Insurance – to assure a replacement of equal utility, quality and value
- Estate – for tax liability purposes, when the fair market value of the jewelry exceeds $5,000.00.
- Comparison – to verify the identity and quality claimed by a third party or to verify the value.
- Divorce Settlement – to appraise property in which fair market value is used.
- Estimate to Replace – to determine values of items that were lost or stolen.
- Damage – to indicates the weight loss resulting from re-cutting a damaged stone and its loss of value.
- Collateral – to use the jewelry or gemstones for obtaining a loan, etc.
- Donation and Gift – for tax deduction purposes based on IRS regulations.
- Barter – when parties exchanging one commodity for another
- Customs – to prove that an item was not purchased in a foreign country upon return.
- Casualty Loss – for an income tax deduction for lost and damaged items NOT covered by insurance.
- Conservatorship – to determine the value of the estate when an individual becomes incapacitated.
- Distribution of Property – to use with a will. Precludes heirs from squabbling over the estate.
- Proof of Ownership – to provide positive identification when items have been recovered.
- Investment – to provide a prospective appreciation analysis.